I was ticked off this morning after updating Bear on all my devices. All my notes were looking a little strange. I first noticed it in my todo lists. The checkboxes didn’t look right and bold was no longer bold.
Here’s the solution. Go into Settings > General and turn Markdown compatibly mode back on and everything will be okay. You’ll need to do this on each device that you have Bear installed on.
This is a bad move by the developer. They should know better.
There’s a new notes app out called the The Archive. If you have used Brett Terpstra’s nvALT this app will look very familiar to you.
Gabe Weatherhead at MacDrifter
The Archive is designed around what Notational Velocity and later nvALT brought to the Mac: Fast, reliable search with ease of creation. As both of these applications lost their luster as macOS advanced, I left them behind in a favor of less buggy and more versatile tools. The Archive is the first application to come along that is really making me reconsider moving my note collection out of Dropbox.
macosxguru at Bicycle For Your Mind.
The Archive owes a huge debt to nvALT. The developers acknowledge that debt explicitly. The Archive is nvALT improved.
I downloaded and played with The Archive for a few days. I found it to be a very nice and an improvement over nvALT. If I hadn’t moved my notes from nvALT to Bear last year I would definitely consider using The Archive as my notes app. For now, I’m too invested in Bear to change.
Macosxguru wrote a nice review of The Archive. I suggest giving it a read.
If you’re using Alfred and Bear I want to share a workflow with you that I use to search Bear notes or tags and open the result from Alfred.
Here’s how it works.
Searching and opening results
- bs — Search for a note by title and open it in Bear.
- bst — Search for a tag (a group of notes) by tag title and open it in Bear.
You can also create a new note from Alfred.
Creating a new note
- bn — Create a new note with input as title. Tags optional.
- bn I love notes! — Creates a new note with the title and text “I love notes!”
- bn I love notes! #love #notes — Creates a new note with the title and text “I love notes!” and the tags “#love” and “#notes”
This saves some keystrokes if I’m not already working in Bear.
Download the workflow.
Bear has several special searches that I find useful.
The other day I imported a large number of files without tags into Bear. Once imported I did a @untagged search to find them and then added the proper tag(s). This saved a lot of time. I also do a @untagged search every week or so to find notes that I’ve added and forgot to tag.
I also use @task, @todo, and @done to manage tasks. You can see the definition of what each one does below.
Here’s a list of all Bears special searches:
- @tagged : shows the notes which have at least one tag
- @untagged: shows the notes without tags
- @today: show the notes modified the current day
- @yesterday: show the notes modified the day before the current
- @images: shows the notes which contain images
- @files: shows the notes which contain files
- @attachments: shows the notes with files or images
- @task: shows the notes which include at least one todo element, either complete or not
- @todo: shows only the notes with not completed todos
- @done: shows only the notes with all the todos completed
- @code: shows the notes which includes at least one code
Last September I wrote about making a permanent move from nvALT to Bear for notes and lists. Since then I have gone all in with Bear. The first year of my Pro subscription was up in December and I renewed it for another year without hesitation.
Now I’m experimenting with Bear as my app for writing blog posts and other short-form writing projects. This may or may not last but for now, it’s what I’m doing.
But, there’s one thing that really bugs me.
In markdown compatibility mode using the double asterisk syntax or ⌘B for bold at the beginning of a line inserts a line separator. It’s really irritating. This happens in both the iOS and macOS versions of the app. This is not a new bug. It’s been around for as long as I can remember.
I have reported this twice. It’s still not fixed. I know Shiny Frog knows about it because Shiny Frog has acknowledged my bug reports and I’ve seen complaints about it on Twitter.
Please Shiny Frog, when will this bug get fixed?