I know I said No Subscription. Even though I said that I caved in and signed up for a 12-month subscription to Ulysses right before my free use period ended.
I’m still not a happy camper though and here’s why.
I think Soleman should have followed the lead of 1Password, Day One, and TextExpander and continued to support and update the purchased version of the app for those users who want to continue using it. They didn’t! They said the paid version would not be supported after High Sierra. So, in essence, they are forcing everyone, previous users, and new users, on to the subscription. To me, that’s just wrong. That’s why I’m not a happy camper.
Then why am I still using Ulysses? Because I haven’t found anything that compares. I’ve tried Byword, MultiMarkdown Composer, the new iA Writer 5 for Mac and iOS, Bear and BBEdit.
Here’s what sets Ulysses apart for me:
- Identical features across Mac and iOS.
- The unified library. I don’t like managing individual files.
- Clean distraction free writing environment.
- Selecting my font of choice.
- Publishing to WordPress and Medium.
- It’s just dead simple to use.